Friday, April 26, 2013

What I learned: Do not go gentle into that good night

My exposure to the new open, social and participatory world has been eye-opening, thrilling and disconcerting.  This course, ILD 831, has exposed me to concepts, tools and means of communicating I wasn’t aware of or only heard about.  For example, I was introduced to Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) and free online initiatives such as Saylor.org.  I was very aware of MIT’s open logistics courses, which I found very useful in the past.  But had never known of these courses as part of MOOC.


As an aside with respect to MOOC, I analyzed the tens of online courses (I have taken) and assessed their positives and negatives.  While the positives mostly concerned ease of access, the negatives included: 

·         No instructor feedback except for grading
·         No online collaboration
·         Adequate to only average online collaboration
·         Multiple systems to learn

While I had read Thomas Friedman’s The World is Flat, I gained much insight into what the book got right and what it might have oversold (see Richard Florida and The World is Spiky).

I reviewed SnagIt for the class, finding:

What Snagit does, Snagit does very well.  My favorite use for Snagit is grabbing, copying and pasting graphics of any source, resolution and shape into PowerPoint presentations.  I prepare data driven spreadsheets, charts, and other graphics from MS Excel, MS Access, MS Word, among other applications.  What I use Snagit for is to grab a part of any digital document and paste the resulting high-resolution image directly onto PowerPoint slides, all in 3-5 clicks of a mouse.

We then analyzed Friedman’s Triple Convergence, the coming together of three transformations at the same time, from the 1990’s through the mid 2000’s:

·         Friedman’s ten “flatteners” that he described as enabling the world community to come together, including flatteners such as uploading, outsourcing, offshoring, insourcing, in-forming, etc.
·         The way people interacted and did business, e.g. Friedman’s discussion of Southwest Airlines’ availing of the check-in process online.
·         The addition of billions of people in China, India, Russia and elsewhere filling the vacuum created by the flatteners and new processes

 
Our next topic concerned the changing nature of work.  What resonated most was Husband’s Wirearchy, which he described as “a dynamic two-way flow of power and authority, based on knowledge, trust, credibility and a focus on results, enabled by interconnected people and technology.”  He said that leaders must be “deeply aware of and mindful about the scope and reach of interconnected markets and flows of information”, and “be prepared to listen deeply, be responsible, be accountable and be transparent.”  The article was a great read because it provided reasonable guidelines not only for leaders, but also for managers, employees, and citizens. 

Next, we looked closely at the opportunities and challenges of networked workers.  What was interesting to me was that it still was primarily cultural bias – not technology constraints – that inhibited greater embracing of teleworking.  John A. Challenger, chief executive officer of Challenger, Gray & Christmas, said that companies that have widely adopted telecommuting are realizing significant savings in many areas but, most notably, real estate costs.  This is an obvious benefit.   But he warns:
Companies are embracing the latest portable tablets and laptops, social networking, video conferencing and many of the other technological advancements that make telecommuting increasingly viable. However, in many ways, companies are stuck in the old way of doing business, where people are expected to work from 9 to 5 and are judged more on the amount of ‘face time’ than on the quantity or quality of output.

I then researched and wrote on Cybercrimes.  What resonated with me is that even though cybercrimes are now taking front and center at news rooms across the country, many businesses still think they are immune to the problem and/or do not realize how much in jeopardy their digital business assets are (subject to threats such as viruses, worms, Trojan horses, logic bombs, etc.).


Finally, we then looked at Kevin Kelly’s keynote at Web Expo 2.0 (on March 29, 2011), Corning's A Day Made of Glass and Google's recent Google’s Glasses announcement.  I wrote a petulant diatribe against this bombardment of new means of passing and receiving data, but was quickly reminded that many whom experience change at first are resistant to it.  Amen.  I am still struck by Kelly’s mention of studies that concerned how small babies contort to interact with an Ipad.   For example, this from the Wall Street Journal:

"He's concentrating," says Sandra Calvert, a professor at Georgetown University. It's physiologically the same thing he does while deeply immersed in, say, Legos. Psychologists call it "flow experience."

There is a subtle difference: The child decides when a building is finished; an app determines when the task is completed correctly. Researchers say it's unclear whether this difference has any impact on a child.

My leadership will change for the better as I get more comfortable with the new always connected, always transmitting, always receiving world.  My innate resistance may have more to do with my lot in life whereby I still chase the brass ring, but not as quickly or engaged as I used to be and with much greater recovery time!

Reading my cohort’s blogs was very instructive.  I was amazed each week reading the different viewpoints and insights on the same topic.  I look forward to engaging with the cohort this week as we wrap the eight weeks.  Going forward, I should attack my inhibitions to this new technology and need for constant engagement and data … Excerpted from  Dylan Thomas:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light…

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rope,
    If there is a comment here, it is in looking at the volume of work/analysis that you accomplished (and thus all of us) in the last eight weeks. This while all doing our day jobs, family engagements, grocery shopping etc. This tells me two things:
    1) As a group we are high achievers. Not surprising given that we are in a leadership EdD program.
    2) That "spare" time is an undefined term.

    I can fill my time as a leader with any number of things, but your post demonstrated that by selectively filling your time with research, with analysis, with tool exploration; you ultimately ended up with a new set of techniques and experiences you can apply to your leadership challenges.

    Great "posting" with you and look forward to filling my own spare time with new experiences in technology, in leadership, and in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt: Aces comments. You are right in that we either have no life or we intend to fill it like iTunes does with excess music to fill-up out iPods - with the pursuit of knowledge. I find, as I get older, that I very much enjoy the doctoral pursuit, not only for what I am learning (a great deal), but also for the wind sprints associated with achieving it. I know my wife looks at me like: let's just go watch the M-Braves...

    Anyway, you have been a master bloger and I will make sure our paths meet soon enough.

    Best,
    Rope

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My exposure to the new open, social and participatory world has been eye-opening, thrilling and disconcerting..."

    Good! My work is complete!

    It has been a joy having a shipmate to learn with...and you have definitely contributed to the learning! Your side posts each week were always relevant and interesting.

    I hope this course has been different when it comes to elearning. I agree with you that many online courses are marked by little interaction, faculty presence, or collaboration. I sought to make this course different (another thing to learn)...but with forethought that the positives would outweigh the negatives. How did I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just want to echo Rope, great job on the course. As an online (and face-to-face and blended) instructor, my biggest concern these days is engagement. The techno-stuff we've been talking about for eight weeks ensures that the content need for any course is available, it's all in the presentation and engagement of the group. The idea to do the whole course via blogs versus traditional discussion boards (look at that...I just called a n online discussion board "traditional") was ideal for the conduct of the course and the subject matter. For me, it got me to do something colleagues and friends had been urging...start a blog. It forced me to adopt a different writing style, one that tries at least to be a little more understandable.

      In every class I teach, no matter what the venue, I always state a primary goal of having each lesson result in the students (and instructor too) saying "Gee, I never thought of it that way before."

      You hit my goal.

      Delete
    2. Amen to all and ditto. This class had many of those ah-ha moments. Best of luck going forward.

      Delete
  5. Dr. W: Mission accomplished on this course. I'll be less jaded going forward. Your weekly links would have never caught my attention otherwise. Engagement was consistent, timely and encouraging. Not a bad combination. Please keep in touch. I'm sure I'll need a little technical calibrating from time to time. Best, Rope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am only a tweet or email (or God forbid, a phone call) away. Technical calibrating is what I do for a living! :-)

      Delete
  6. Rope,

    Isn't it interesting how we older types almost take pride in our resistance to the new and try to present the world with a face that says the old way was better...and then go ahead and put together fantastic work that a newly-minted bachelor's degree holder would envy? I think it's because we have our own convergence and that is the convergence of experience and adventure.

    When I first saw your blog I thought "well there it goes, no way I can keep up with this guy..." Your work, along with others, has pulled more out me than I expected from myself. Your insights, clear interest in research and understanding the new is what the web-enabled world makes possible. But we really nee to remind everyone that we are indeed in a group of achievers and scholars...and "doers." In those hands, the flat-world technology becomes tools for opportunity. In other hands, the technology becomes a really good video game platform. It's like golf clubs...a brand new set isn't dropping my score any time soon, it's the guy swinging them.

    Best wishes to you, I'm sure we'll be crossing paths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me add to your title of the book you are going to write and make more $ than Friedman...Triple Phoenix: Where experience, adventure and technology cause us to hit a wall, then emerge better for having experienced the sudden deceleration. What, too long a title?

      Delete