Friday, March 8, 2013

Friedman, Florida & What's Next

Friedman (2005) was one of the first to articulate the three major globalization movements in history.  His take on Globalization 1 and 2 describing the flattening of countries and companies, respectively, was insightful in the way that it framed the issues covering Globalization 3, the current post 2000 period of history, and its effect on the individual.  Friedman’s The World is Flat describes ten “flatteners” that bring individuals around the world together into one world economy.  He described flatteners such as:

Outsourcing - A company’s ability to split tasks or functions that are then farmed out to another company for completion
Offshoring - The relocation of a company’s manufacturing or production facility to a foreign land, where labor rates (usually) are significantly less

Supply-chaining - Horizontal collaboration among suppliers, retailers and customers, to create value and utilize technology to streamline sales, distribution and shipping operations
Insourcing - Horizontal collaboration where one company worked with other companies to take them global but make them feel local.

Informing - Friedman said that there is no bigger flattener than making the world’s knowledge available to everyone, anytime and anywhere.  He believed that the ability for anyone to use a search engine such as Google to instantly obtain information of any kind is a strategic equalizer, whereby individuals no longer had to rely on libraries, TV, or movies to get the information or end-product they wanted.  To understand the scale, Google is known to process upwards of a billion searches each day.  The major impact is that information is no longer limited by geography, access to repositories of information (universities, for example), or time.  This availability of information transforms individuals into his or her own-supply chain (peddling things such as music, videos and photos).
The Steroids - Friedman anticipated a merging of these flatteners into a flattener on steroids, where the resulting synergy would be transformative, abundant and unpredictable.  Friedman provided very little empirical evidence to support suppositions, intriguing though they are.

Florida (2005) in his The World is Spiky article in the October 2005 Atlantic Monthly concurred with Friedman in general that there was a worldwide coming together of the masses.  However, Florida contended that the masses were coming together in urban centers, or spikes, all around the world.  The reason, he posited, was due to economics and the close proximity of like creative professionals. He supported this contention by illustrating the demographic distribution of intellectual property applications, among other indicators.
New web-based technologies involving smart phones, widgets, gadgets, applications, wikis, social platforms, and other forms of data manipulation and management seem to be the rage now.  How they will affect the world economy in ten years is, if history holds, unknowable.

Applications now are almost always either web-based or web-enabled.  Technologies that were recently created to connect individuals are now being applied, albeit more methodically, to enable government and corporations to reach individuals.
The brilliant Yale Professor David Gelernter anticipates that coming new technologies will form around social data aggregation, life-logging, quantified-self, and digital preservation.  For a graphic example, see below:

References

Florida, R. (2005). The World is Spiky. The Atlantic Monthly, October, 48-51.
Friedman, T. L. (2005). The world is flat: A brief history of the twenty-first century. New York: Picador.

10 comments:

  1. Good post, Rope, and your graphic highlights one of the themes of this course. As leaders, we need to focus on the practices and not the tools. Twitter announced last week that it is folding Posterous, while Facebook bought Friendfeed in 2009 but has done nothing with it...and I expect it to fold as well.

    But the practice of Capture > Process > Share - that is in line with what we are doing in our course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the feedback. Looking forward to this course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rope, do you think that the Capture - Process - Share story also works in business applications? The challenge I see, and I'm an avid Twitter user (but not Facebook) is that the Capture - Process analysis is then followed by "No-Edit" prior to Share. How many times must I get a "I'm at Denny's" Tweet from someone who is using FourSquare because they want to get the coveted Denny's medallion. The time value of the information approaches zero (if not equal to zero) when the person doing the tweet is telling me that they are at the Denny's in Atlanta and I'm sitting here in Minnesota working.

    I like the linear approach to data collection and analysis, but I think that for business applications (and perhaps personal as well) there needs to be a filter before Share as to what information is important to what audience. I'd love to be able to turn off certain feeds (like FourSquare) that don't matter to me and just clutter up my analysis of the data being presented. Perhaps this is just a function of V1 versus V 1.x and these analysis features will soon show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I hear you, and as you know, I tweet alot myself (and even use Foursquare...I would hate to give up being the mayor of my barbershop!)

      However, I have shifted to using #hashtags more and pay less attention to the real time feed. Hashtags let me filter so that I am only seeing those who are part of a conversation.

      Delete
    2. Matt, I'm a sporadic user of Twitter (mainly re-Tweeting) and a 2-3/wk poster on Facebook, mainly to communicate with friends and family. I'm glad for this new blog, as I'll now have a forum outside of Twitter and Facebook. I don't use Foursquare, but will give it atumble.

      You picked up on my point regarding the new social technologies WRT sharing: right now I see a whole lot of unproductive churn and chattering. Being able to filter the chaff so as to receive the light, so to speak, will be the key.

      As an old IT guy, I'm going to be hard to move off of the linear requirements-design-build-test-execute process paradigm, mainly because I believe in it...thanks for the input.

      Delete
  4. Hi Rope -

    Great blog site and initial post. I actually commented yesterday, but failed to change the dropdown to reflect I was commenting from wordpress. Live and learn.

    My comment is far more basic than the others. As I look at the graphic showing Professor Gelernter'd theory on the future, I see a group of tools that I can take or leave. In previous globalization periods described by Friedman, the innovations seemed more ... well ... real. With the possible exception of e-mail (GMail given in the example) there is nothing there that I couldn't do well without.

    My point is this --- could it be that IT is solving for problems that don't exist? I mean, it's cool I can post pictures of my children online for my relatives in NY to see, but the only advantage to doing so is speed, when compared to what the US Postal Service has been doing for years.

    Thoughts? BPW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My take on the new globalization is different from yours. My idea is that of a flare. Picture a gas well that is flaring gas into the air. I picture the whole world as flaring unlimited amounts of gas (ideas, products, etc.). Right now the gas is just going into the air, polluting the air. What needs to be invented is a filter, an ability to capture the the parts you want and the auto-purge ov everything else. I will post this under your comment on my blog, because, again, I believe this will be a reply to the wrong post.

      Delete
  5. B - Amen to your statement about IT trying to solve problems that do not exist. Could not agree more. There are so many start-up attempts in the social interaction space that the market is flooded with junk...the developers and investors are flooding the market with seed start-ups to see what gains traction. So, the next big google is going to be the anti-google, the filterer instead of the finder. Any ideas we can make a Billion on? Best, Rope

    ReplyDelete
  6. What concerns me is the potential confusion of accessibility with capability as I stated in a different comment earlier today. When we are all equal, we are all credible…really? Being on the doorstep of old geezer status myself, I can recall when print advertisers used the phrase “AS SEEN ON TV!” as a pointed declaration of credibility. Now we’ve entered the age of universal blogging and Twitter-ing and Facebook-ing…things have almost become a form of exhibitionism. If it’s on the web it must be true seems to be the starting point for many folks but the real changing factor for all of us is that if it’s on the web, it must be checked out. In my own case, this has led to countless hours of frustration and sometimes amusement but almost always culminating in lost hours. However, it has also led to a lot of enlightenment. It’s a double edged sword.
    That’s where Florida’s argument about “spikes” becomes a bit stronger. Can we safely assume that innovation arising from one of those spikes has a better chance of being viable and credible than from a seemingly random source? Or, will the concentration of so much innovative/creative power in concentrated areas lead to something else…the voice crying in the wilderness gains more attention. This would strengthen Friedman’s argument that at least now that voice can be heard. As usual, the answer appears to be in the combination of the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crank - As I mentioned abobe to B, my idea of the new globalization is a flare: The World is a Flare. Picture a gas well that is flaring gas into the air. I picture the whole world as flaring unlimited amounts of gas (ideas, products, etc.). Right now the gas is just going into the air, polluting the air. What needs to be invented is a filter, an ability to capture the the parts you want and auto-purge everything else.

      Delete